Gallery - #1007 Kimono Jacket and Vest

Stamped Kanji Vest



Machine Sashiko Collar Detail

Silk Kimono Jacket

I made this jacket for Theresa Mertens of Bohemian Element from her silk fabrics.

For the left front I pieced 4x6 blocks in an offset pattern. The right front and back mimicked the piece with twin needle stitching in the same pattern.

The jacket is underlined with burmese silk. For the band I added a bit of stitching, Ultrasuede cut out squares and decorative buttons. The closure buttons are framed with more Ultrasuede squares.





Curve Pieced Vest




Bobbin Work Vest



The vest was embellished with a flat rayon yarn in a technique I call "Sewing Down Under" also known as "bobbin work".After the bobbin work was done, I stippled the rest of the garment (from the top side) with Sulky rayon thread.


Detail of the front. The band was also worked the same way with long channel stitched lines.Instead of fighting with the thick area of the seam in the back neck, I let the ends remain on the outside, and tied them off in a square knot.

Were you wondering how I got the curly cue design?


I let my lining be the guide this time! The curly cues in the printed lining were the perfect element to follow. And since you sew from the WRONG side, it's an easy task!



Sheer Pleats



For this Kimono Jacket (lengthened 8" from the pattern) I used Hanashi cotton print and Bronze to Green Sheer Organza. I sheer pleated the variegated organza over the cotton, while adding a few silk flowers for added embellishment. Beads finish off the 'holes' left in the silk flowers from removing the plastic stems!


A few silk flowers were scattered over the jacket pieces and left "free" under the sheer. The ones added to the band were free-motion stitched around the edges. A machine blanket stitch finishes off the edge of the band.

Tapestry Fabric



I used a coordinating tapestry for the band and accented the pocket and sleeves with the same.

Just for fun, I tilted the pocket placement on the jacket (instead of being partially inserted in the side seam).



Tweed





I used Chanel Cotton Tweed and took advantage of the fringed selvages as an embellishment!

I used the fringed selvage of the fabric on the band and pocket tops as a fast and fun embellishment!



Larkin Van Horn




Larkin teaches various surface design and embellishment classes, as well as taking commissions for wearable art, wall hangings and church installations.Visit her website!

Larkin Van Horn made this vest from 8mm silk habotai which was hand painted and machine quilted. The strips are hand-dyed silk ribbon from Artemis and the little triangles are hand painted cotton, both raw edge appliqued by machine.

Susan Capalbo and Mary Bartlo


The vest was made as part of a second-grade project for the school's annual art auction. Every year each grade does up to three items for the auction, proceeds are used to fund artist-in-residence programs. In April and May 2000, Mrs. Bickle's second grade class was interested in fiber art. The students wove ( on a floor loom) fabric that was used in the vest (see the multicolored chenille on the front and back, dyed and crinkled the brown-silk and the velvet, and stamped the front band and the lining using your stamps. The vest and scarf (not shown) sold for well over three hundred dollars! We were in charge of the weaving and the garment construction.
Susan Capalbo and Mary Bartlo
Dept. of Agricultural Economics and Economics
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717

Dianne Day



Sheila Twesme


Sheila pieced in a variety of purple and plum batiks and cottons. a step further and added sleeves for her own versatile jacket! She loves paper piecing and incorporated some of that into her design. She filled in with block and strip piecing, setting the sleeve blocks at an angle to add interest. All of the basic blocks were stipple quilted and the pieced blocks were "stitch-in-the-ditch" quilted. The band was embellished with rows of straight stitches. Sheila said the left side band turned out a bit more even, so she lapped it over the right! The jacket has bound edges to finish and a covered button and cording creation closure.

Pat Thomas


Pat Thomas of Dragonfly Fiber Arts was inspired by the birds on the lake behind their house. She incorporates airbrush fabric that she purchased from Flair Designs at the Greensboro, NC quilt show and also some fabric strips that she stamped or sponged with several colors using our textile paints.


Fabric is 8 shades of blue hand-dyed fabric, with a little orange spice thrown in. She calls it "Opposites Attract" because the orange is the direct opposite of the blue on a color wheel.


Alexandra Wright


Alexandra made this "Temari Ball" with lightweight hand-dyed cotton, appliqué and embroidery.
Alexandra made this vest with couched, beaded and embellished cottons.